Deadline: 31 January 2019
UCLG ASPAC is the largest regional section of United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG), an amalgamation of International Union of Local Authorities (IULA), United Towns Organization (UTO), and World Association of the Major Metropolises (METROPOLIS). UCLG was established on 1 January 2004 and is headquartered in Barcelona, Spain. Following this unification, UCLG ASPAC was established in Taipei on 14 April 2004, as the new entity of IULA ASPAC. UCLG ASPAC is the key knowledge management hub on local government issues in the Asia Pacific region. The Secretariat of UCLG ASPAC is located in Jakarta and hosted by the Provincial Government of Jakarta.
UCLG ASPAC’s missions are: (a) to promote strong and effective democratic local self-government throughout the region/world by fostering unity and cooperation among members; (b) to ensure the effective political representation of local government to the UN and other international communities; (c) to be the worldwide source of key information on local government, learning, exchange, and capacity building to support democratic local governments and their associations; (d) to promote economic, social, cultural, vocational and environmental development by enhancing the services to the citizens based on good governance; (e) to promote race and gender equality, combating discrimination, promoting decentralized cooperation and international cooperation between local governments and their associations; and (f) to promote twinning and partnership between local governments and peoples.
UCLG ASPAC is currently calling for applications from qualified candidate to fill in the post of Knowledge Management and Communications Manager under the European Union (EU) Project (CSO-LA/2018/396-784) on LEAD for SDGs: Local Empowerment, Advocacy and Development for SDGs Localization in Pakistan. The project aims to contribute to the achievement of SDGs in Pakistan by fostering an enabling environment for mainstreaming SDGs in local development processes through effective leadership and policy advocacy, supported by evidence-based research, capacity building and improved coordination, and piloting innovative approaches for SDGs localization.
Under the supervision of Project’s Team Leader in Islamabad, the Knowledge Management and Communications Manager in Islamabad will be responsible in the development and implementation of the overall knowledge management system and communications protocols and products of the LEAD Project, from the knowledge production phase through to the knowledge dissemination phase, which will include research and publications.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities
- Lead in the development of knowledge and data management system of the LEAD Project;
- Lead the research and analysis to produce publication of the LEAD project pertaining to SDGs;
- Lead in the development of the communication strategy and its implementation for internal and external stakeholders;
- Enhance the knowledge management capacity of local authorities to inform planning and policy development by promoting evidence-based integrated and sustainable development-oriented solutions pertaining to SDGs;
- Compile and synthesize relevant existing and emerging research, information and analyses and manage the production and dissemination of a diverse range of information products (info graphics, reports, maps, etc);
- Produce and disseminate information products, analytical and policy briefs to inform better policies and programming in the search for durable solutions;
- Facilitate and coordinate knowledge sharing activities between actors at local and national level encompassing both real time learning and longer term lessons learnt processes;
- Facilitate and manage preparations for learning events and workshops to promote cross-learning and carry out dissemination of SDGs learning tools as appropriate;
- Set internal and external communications standards, guidelines, processes and protocols in line with the UCLG ASPAC communication strategy;
- Develop publication and dissemination of written materials and content for various communication medias, which may include content for project reports, newsletters, website, and social media channels, photographs, conference abstracts, reports, presentations, technical briefs, and other communication products as deemed appropriate;
- Ensure compliance with all projects/contract requirements (including branding and visibility) that relate to reporting (projects reports and annual activities reports);
- Any other tasks reasonably assigned by the Project Team Leader in Islamabad and/or the Regional Finance and Administrative Manager in Jakarta.
- Master degree in Research, Communications, Development Studies, Information, or other related fields;
- Has at least 7 (five) years’ experience in development programs, with a progressive track record on knowledge management and communications related work;
- Has experience in working with the government officials at various levels, particularly related to local development and local governance;
- Solid knowledge and experience in communications, including strategic communication, knowledge sharing, and e-platforms;
- Experience in developing communication products, including technical briefs, program updates, newsletters, etc, for a variety of audiences including members, donors and external partners;
- Solid experience with managing and maintain websites and social media;
- High level of skills and competencies, communicating development results to a wide range of stakeholders and audience;
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft office packages, Adobe Creative Suite, and other relevant packages;
- Experience in working with key stakeholders and partners;
- Fluency in written and spoken English with demonstrated report writing skills in English;
- Has strong analytical, communication and interpersonal skills;
- Be willing to travel during the project’s implementation when required;
- Has ability to work in a team and individual supported by good and positive work ethics/attitude and integrity.
How to apply
* Please submit the application Letter and CV in English with the following subject: KMCM-LEAD Islamabad
* Submit to email@example.com with copy to firstname.lastname@example.org
* Period of application submission is: 15 – 31 January 2019
* Only the qualified candidates will be contacted.
* Please indicate the salary expectation.