Deadline: 31 January 2019
UCLG ASPAC is the largest regional section of United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG), an amalgamation of International Union of Local Authorities (IULA), United Towns Organization (UTO), and World Association of the Major Metropolises (METROPOLIS). UCLG was established on 1 January 2004 and is headquartered in Barcelona, Spain. Following this unification, UCLG ASPAC was established in Taipei on 14 April 2004, as the new entity of IULA ASPAC. UCLG ASPAC is the key knowledge management hub on local government issues in the Asia Pacific region. The Secretariat of UCLG ASPAC is located in Jakarta and hosted by the Provincial Government of Jakarta.
UCLG ASPAC’s missions are: (a) to promote strong and effective democratic local self-government throughout the region/world by fostering unity and cooperation among members; (b) to ensure the effective political representation of local government to the UN and other international communities; (c) to be the worldwide source of key information on local government, learning, exchange, and capacity building to support democratic local governments and their associations; (d) to promote economic, social, cultural, vocational and environmental development by enhancing the services to the citizens based on good governance; (e) to promote race and gender equality, combating discrimination, promoting decentralized cooperation and international cooperation between local governments and their associations; and (f) to promote twinning and partnership between local governments and peoples.
UCLG ASPAC is currently calling for applications from qualified candidate to fill in the post of Advocacy and Training Manager under the European Union (EU) Project (CSO-LA/2018/396-784) on LEAD for SDGs: Local Empowerment, Advocacy and Development for SDGs Localization in Pakistan. The project aims to contribute to the achievement of SDGs in Pakistan by fostering an enabling environment for mainstreaming SDGs in local development processes through effective leadership and policy advocacy, supported by evidence-based research, capacity building and improved coordination, and piloting innovative approaches for SDGs localization.
Under the direct supervision of Project’s Team Leader in Islamabad, the Advocacy and Training Manager in Islamabad will be responsible in the development, implementation and follow-up of the LEAD’s project advocacy and capacity development design, strategies and activities aiming at the advancement of the SDGs implementation in the project’s location.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities
- Provide regular, up to date and timely information to feed into the project’s and local governments’ advocacy strategies;
- Identify key issues for advocacy at local and national levels;
- Ensure that consistent and reliable data produced at local level include advocacy stakes and that it is shared with advocacy team at the national level;
- Liaise with relevant stakeholders and networks involved in advocacy actions at national/regional level;
- Review and develop key advocacy documents and reports pertaining to the SDGs’ agendas enhancement;
- Work with partners to build local platforms and alliances and to develop an advocacy agenda;
- Participate into relevant networks at provincial/national/regional level and liaise with the key stakeholders on collective advocacy initiatives when appropriate;
- Facilitate coordinated action plans & mechanisms of the local governments’ partners to implement the SDGs’ advocacy strategy at local and national levels;
- Lead the development of local governments’ capacity building framework and roadmap pertaining to the advancement of the SDGs agendas;
- Develop and/or update training materials, standards, and curricula, as well supervisory systems needed to build capacity of the partners’ organizations;
- Provide oversight, strategic direction and definition of organizational capacity building project activities;
- Establish and implement a system to ensure quality of local organizational capacity building activities;
- Provide mentoring and capacity building at the individual and organizational level on SDGs agendas and their implementation;
- Any other tasks reasonably assigned by the Project Team Leader in Islamabad and/or the Regional Finance and Administrative Manager in Jakarta.
- Master degree in Development Studies, Public Policy, Social and Political Studies, Organizational Development, or other related fields;
- Has at least 7 (five) years’ experience in development programs, with a progressive track record on advocacy and capacity development related work;
- Has experience in working with the government officials at various levels, particularly related to local development and local governance;
- Sound understanding about SDGs agendas and their challenges;
- Experience in policy and practice analysis and implementing strategic advocacy initiatives aimed at bringing changes in these areas with a proven track record of policy influencing with partners, government and civil societies/key stakeholders;
- Strong interpersonal skills and political awareness, with the ability to influence targets and build and sustain excellent relationships;
- Demonstrated experience providing capacity building assistance at individual and organizational levels;
- Proven record of developing and delivering training and capacity building events;
- Expertise in adult learning theory and participatory learning methodologies;
- Experience and knowledge of the training cycle including designing, delivery and evaluation of learning events;
- A creative and strategic thinker with strong analytical skills and a proven ability to inspire change;
- A confident, collaborative, cross-functional professional with an engaging personal communications style;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills in English and an ability to produce good quality documents, information for a variety of audiences and communicate good practices;
- Be willing to travel during the project’s implementation when required;
- Has ability to work in a team and individual supported by good and positive work ethics/attitude and integrity.
How to apply
* Please submit the application Letter and CV in English with the following subject: ATM-LEAD Islamabad
* Submit to firstname.lastname@example.org with copy to email@example.com
* Period of application submission is: 15 – 31 January 2019
* Only the qualified candidates will be contacted.
* Please indicate the salary expectation.