The webinar series are organised in light of the “Green New Deal” initiative announced by the Korean Government, which is expected to bring new momentum to both the economy and environment. It consists of sets of policy that would not just present future policy direction but also revitalise the COVID-19 striken economy. It also links to the plan of South Korea aiming to reach zero emissions by 2050. To this end, it would halt providing subsidies to coal power plants projects, and set the goal of reducing fine dust domestically 40 percent by 2040. The plan also includes establishing a training centre to support workers transition to greener jobs.
Based on this understanding, CIFAL Jeju organises two webinars on Green New Deal to discuss climate and energy policies in depth. Sharing different perspectives and interpretations on the Green New Deal policy package would allow all participants to take stock of new development model and engage in future policy learning.
- Date: September 17 and October 15, 2020
- Organiser: UNITAR CIFAL Jeju/Jeju International Training Center
- More info and application: CLICK HERE (deadline: 13 September 2020)
Central/local authorities, representatives from NGOs, leaders of regional and community-based organizations, academic and training institutions and other local actors, who are working on green transition in view of sustainable development.
The workshop is expected to help countries and cities in transition to make their society and industry greener, and to give guidance to policy makers on their policy attempts on introducing Green New Deal policies. For the capacity building, this event will:
- Provide an opportunity for the government and city officials to learn from the European and Korean Green New Deal;
- Promote a learning atmosphere between participants and establish a strong network which can be utilised after the workshop;
- Offer a venue for knowledge sharing and discussion and motivate participants to implement well-designed policies, with a particular focus on UN SDGs.