SCOPE OF WORK/TERMS OF REFERENCE
Position : Media & Communication Manager
Duration : 2 (two) years
Supervisor : Secretary General
United Cities and Local Governments Asia Pacific (UCLG ASPAC) is the biggest regional section of the United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG) in which its Secretariat is based in Jakarta, Indonesia. UCLG is a worldwide association of local governments and the officially recognized voice of local governments by the United Nations.
UCLG ASPAC has linkages to more than 7,000 local governments. It represents well over 3.76 billion people – more than half of the world population – and incorporates economically fast developing countries such as China, India, and Indonesia.
UCLG ASPAC is the key knowledge management hub on local government issues in the Asia-Pacific region. It promotes democratic local government, supports cooperation between cities, local governments and their associations, and facilitates programmes, network and partnerships to develop the capacity of local governments and the associations. Moreover, UCLG ASPAC represents local governments politically within the international community, and with the United Nations and its agencies. It also promotes inclusive societies which safeguard equality, social and economic justice, and sustainable community development. UCLG ASPAC is engaged in all relevant thematic fields for nurturing sustainable development comprising poverty alleviation, climate change, disaster resiliency, culture, strategic planning, decentralization, local finance, gender equality, women leadership and empowerment as well as good governance.
The Media and Communication Manager will be hired for a 2 (two) year-period with possibility of extension, based on performance, and will be placed at UCLG ASPAC Secretariat Office in Jakarta. The Post manages the Media and Communication Division and develops the communication strategy to promote UCLG ASPAC to be more visible and recognizable.
Objective and goal:
The Media and Communication Manager is to be responsible in:
- Developing and expanding the media and communication strategy including website development plan.
- Implementing the short, mid and long term communication strategies and plans on branding and outreach.
- Producing tangible and intangible products, including the design and contents of the publications.
- Conducting fund raising activities as part of the expansion of the media and communication activities.
- Promoting UCLG ASPAC at the Asia-Pacific region and beyond.
Scope of Work/Key Duties
Under this Scope of Work, the Media and Communication Manager will carry out the following key activities:
- Manage the entire operation of the Media and Communication Division.
- Play a leading role in the development of a coherent media and communications strategy, including the development of the monitoring and evaluation system related to media and communications.
- Develop and implement short, mid and long-term communication strategies and plans.
- Manage production of publications, such as newsletters, annual reports, panels, and brochures, etc.
- Conduct fund raising activities for the Media and Communication Division.
- Facilitate the implementation of the media and communications strategy at the international and national levels, including providing support to media and communications elements in programmes and projects at national and international levels.
- Take a lead in maintaining link of national, and international media outlets (TV, radio, print, and online) and maintain responsibility for developing strong news, stories which bring together the organization’s programme and profile.
- Provide a timely response to incoming enquiries.
- Take a lead in drafting news releases, opinion pieces and other media engagement documents, and take documents through sign off procedures.
- Develop media advocacy strategies activities in country through training, providing quality information and analysis, and facilitating sharing experiences and learning.
- Take a lead in monitoring the national and international media, both to spot opportunities for organization and to assist with providing regular summary information and updates overviews regarding organization, its members and partners, and their activities in the media.
- Effectively monitor and evaluate various communication tools and activities to measure the impact on achieving the overall objectives.
- Prepare reports related to communication to UCLG ASPAC Executive Bureau, Council and General Assembly Meetings and to UCLG World (headquarters) as required.
- Assess the current UCLG ASPAC website structure and contents for ease of accessibility, quality contents, user-friendliness, ease maintenance/updated and information retrieval.
- Design the website structure, and take into account the requirement from UCLG ASPAC: clear catalogues and folder for data and page storage, attractive site and page layout, easy to use, update and maintain.
- Continuous website development, including content creation and the methods for managing a website and other social media platforms and escalating the dissemination of objectives and interaction with members/partner/donor agencies utilizing the most appropriate media platforms to meet the desired needs.
- Design template for technical maintenance and content management and ongoing promotions.
- Gather informative contents for the web presence (text, document, pictures, etc).
- Prepare recommendation for backup/restore plan, and recommendations for software, hardware, and other back-end applications related to web development.
- Perform other tasks as requested by the Secretary General.
Special Requirements of the Assignment
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, and/or related fields.
- At least 8 (eight) years of professional experience in public relations and/or journalistic work and working in a similar position in a Development and/or International Organization. Experience in the area of web platform development/management is desirable.
- Proficiency in designing and developing public relations/media tools.
- Excellent communication and writing skills (English).
- Highly developed communication skills, including ability to draft/edit texts and to articulate ideas in clear, concise style to a variety of audiences, as well as facilitation skills.
- Shows persistence and ability to identify strategic issues, opportunities and risks, and have the desire to communicate these effectively.
- Intermediate to advanced MS office skills in all basic Microsoft word programs and publication software.
- Basic IT knowledge is preferable.
- Ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines.
- Experience in working in an international environment, respecting different cultures and nationalities.
- Positive work ethic with a willingness to learn.
- Considerable domestic and international travel may be required.
- Developed/improved manual of website development.
- Outreached website and optimal captured of publications and news
- Expanded communication methods and means.
- An updated database of contact information of media outlets
- Developed strategies and plans on communication.
- Expanded activities related to communication.
- Other supporting documents as required by the Secretary General
- Media and Communication Strategy.
- Website development manual and plan.
- Design and template for content management.
- Promotion template.
- Monitoring & evaluation tools of media & communication.
- Fund raising strategies and methods.
The post will be supervised by the Secretary General and supported by the Information and Communication Officer.
How to apply
Please submit updated CV and cover later at the latest of two weeks after this announcement firstname.lastname@example.org.
ONLY SELECTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED